Thursday, November 24, 2016

Diabetes: One Year Later

So, it has been one year since the nurse came into my room and announced that my blood work came back and my blood sugar was 648.  No, that is not a typo.  648.  That number shocks may people, including myself.  I felt fine but the symptoms were there. An unquinched thirst, the constant need to pee and my once great eyesight was now blurring.  I knew something was up but I was denial.  If you get anything from this post please get this:  you know your body and when when it is telling you something, you need to listen.

The following is what I have learned in the past year:

1)  There is no limit of ignorance when it comes to diabetes.

2)  Diabetics blood sugar will be good on days when it should be bad and bad on days when it should be good

3) Your diabetes will affect everyone around you

Now what non-diabetics need to know about diabetes:

1)  There is no typical body type.   I don't know where the stigma that obese people only get diabetes comes from, but it is the biggest sign of ignorance out there.  No, McDonald's did not give me diabetes and that joke really isn't funny.

2)  Blood sugar is not equated to table sugar,  Carbohydrates are the real issue, both simple (sugars) and complex.  You have to be careful of labels.  I have compared some "no sugar" added products to he regular products and there have been times where the "no sugar" was higher in carbohydrates than the regular.

3)  Providing a sugar free option at a potluck is appreciated but not necessary.  Diabetics know their limits.

4)  A list of don'ts: (1)Don't make stupid jokes.  We've heard them all before. (2)  Don't ask me if I "should be eating that".  Truth is neither of us should really be eating it but if you are really worried about my health, you can make a donation to American Diabetes Association and pray for a cure.
(3) Don't say "you don't look like a diabetic".  See above.

5)  If I snap at you, don't take it personal.  Low blood sugar can sneak up on us and it affects our mood.
         
6)  If I do have low blood sugar, don't freak out. Rarely will it be an emergency.   I live it everyday and I can handle it.



I often wonder if I did this to myself.  It's hard to say.  There hasn't been enough research on Type 2 to say what causes it.  But I still can't help to think of the millions of gallons of Coke, Dr. Pepper, Mt Dew, Orange, Grape, Pepsi, and any other soda  that I have drank or all the Hostess, Lil Debbie, and every off brand mass produced creme filled pastries that I have devoured.  I guess its to late for me but for those reading there is no time like tomorrow to change your diet.  Why tomorrow?  Because today is Thanksgiving and I can imagine the defiant cuss words thrown my way for even mentioning starting today.

So, enjoy all those carbs and pumpkin and pecan pies.  I know I will. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment