Wednesday, May 11, 2011

The night the love affair died

It had been  years since I had first seen her.  I saw her every once in while and I would get to enjoy her charm.  I would spend all my money on her only to leave her again.  As the years went by, I saw her less.  She never seemed to be where I was.  Even if I looked for her, usually she was not to be found.  But the times that we spent together, I thought were wonderful.  Then it happened.  It all came to an end.

The year was 2008.  It would be the last time I would see her.  I ran into her unexpectedly.  I couldn't recall the last time that I had been in her presence.  It would be awkward at first but we soon fell into our old pattern.  It was in a pizza place in Belleville Il, I can't recall the name.  I saw her and walked up to her.  I placed my hand upon her familiar frame and so it began.  Midway through, something was different.  I was feeling....bored.  How could this be?  I had loved her for 25 years.

This last meeting had lasted longer than any other.  But this time was different.and it would change me forever.

Never had I placed a quarter into Ms. Pacman and had gotten so far.  Maze after maze, it seemed such a blur.  The Chase, the marriage, the stork dropping the the baby bundle, these were all scenes that I seen before.  As I blazed through the early mazes, I kept wondering what would be next.  All the years, all of the attempts were leading to a climax that I could barely withstand.  And then.. and then... nothing.  Huh?  The mazes stopped changing.  What!?!  There were no new scenes to watch.   The anticipation had turned to devastation.  She wasn't who I thought she was.  All of the money that I had spent on her.. wasted.  All of the years..I couldn't get back.  How could this be?

Nevertheless, this night had to pass.  So I played on.  Eventually, I switched to playing left handed, just for a challenge.  And as the lives dropped one by one, so did the love I had for this game. 

Ms. Pacman ruined me.  No fond memories remain.  I have since lost most interest in video games.  What once was fun and carefree, now seem to be pointless and a waste of time.  My boys always want me to play and I will for a while but the fun is not there.  Maybe I'm just too old or maybe it's the endless lives and tries that you get today.  Whatever the reason may be, there will not be another Ms. Pacman for me.


This was what was on my mind today.

2 comments:

  1. I loved the Pac-Man games as well. I don't think I was as good at them as you.

    ReplyDelete