Wednesday, August 3, 2011

School is now in session

August 5th my two oldest go back to school.  Whatever happened to starting after Labor Day?  They used to say the three best things about being a teacher were June, July and August.  Guess that's history.  It doesn't take a math genius to figure out that since the summer is so short now, maybe be should just go to year 'round schooling.  I know it would improve my mental health not to have to worry about what my kids are doing while I'm at work.  Just because I assign them reading it doesn't mean they do it.  And when I get home I'm to worn out to check.  With the way the speak English I'm guessing they don't.  My boys have two jobs: empty and load the dishwasher and take out the trash.  Both hardly ever get done.  The dishes in the sink look like someone's science project. So that's not much help. They do get some physical education though.  Too bad it's playing basketball on the Wii.  There, I named them all.  Now the only people who get hurt by year 'round schooling would be the teachers.  Sorry teachers.  Yes, you too Sis.  Suck it up and work 365 like the rest of us.  I suppose summer daycares would take a hit too.  But all in all I feel it's the way to go.

6 comments:

  1. I am going to school to be a teacher. I truly hope we go to all year. I think our kids would benefit. Some children do not get to eat regularly and that would help that problem. I believe to be competitive we need all year school. On a lighter note. MY KIDS ARE DRIVING ME CRAZY! I love them so much but they are so sick of each other. They are young and still love school. You are right about assigning reading. If we had all year school they would have large breaks at various times. They would not have breaks from learning only little rests. Does that makes sense? - Kelly Ellis

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is a great idea, but I have heard it is very hard for families to take family vacations!!! Kids seem to go stir crazy over summer break..I agree all should go to year round school!

    Lela

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK Since you singled me out. Here it goes. Year round school is still only 180 attendence days just spread throughout the school year. If you want us to work 365 then you are going to have to double our salaries and as you pointed out the government is broke. The state of Illinois is 9 months to a year behind paying schools now. Do you want to pay more taxes, perhaps private school tutition? I doubt it. Dont's forget we are a white collar profession and most of us have advanced degrees. You know that I work summer school almost every year. It is not the work that is the problem it is the lack pay.

    Your Loving Sister,
    Carmen

    ReplyDelete
  4. He didn't take into account that year round school would cost more. Right now they are already adding furlough days to the year just to save a few dollars. Adding more days to the year (which isn't what year round really does - it actually just shifts the breaks) would cost not only in teacher salaries, but would cost for the operation of the schools (air conditioning, lights, etc.), materials, etc.--Melissa Neise

    ReplyDelete
  5. My idea if year 'round school is for the working 2 parent families that have no place for their kids to go during the summer, other than paying a daycare. Kids use to run the neighborhood but the selfish, sicko, pediphiles ended that. I would much rather pay extra taxes to support the school. As far as the broke government goes we continue to elect the same people and continue to spend endless dollars on the same idiotic programs. Let's get out of these two wars and give more money to the teachers and edcuation. My Feb. 15th blog entitled "Let's Do School Lunch" goes more in depth about this topic. Lastly, by 365 I mean year 'round not 365 days of endless work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry but I had to respond to this. Carmen why is it that you would need to be paid more a year? Service members work 365 days a year and Soldiers are Soldiers 24 hours 7 days a week. They spend years at a time away from their families at a time and many make the ultimate sacrifice and never return to see their loved ones again. But you never heats Soldier talk about how they need to be paid more. Why because they chose to defend this country and love what they do. I do not feel that teachers should do their line of work based on what they receive for pay. They should do it because they want to help children to receive a better education and future. Please don't look at this as me being mean or hateful it is just how I feel.
    Lela

    ReplyDelete