Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Shipwrecked Dreams

The story of the finding of the SS Gairsoppa, has me thinking of my childhood.  I know' "What a strange sentence", but I will explain.  As a child, I was enthralled with the idea of going out and finding lost treasure.  I remember watching "Popeye's Treasure Hunt"  as well as others that I have long forgotten, thinking that's what I want to do.   History was always my favorite subject and as I learned about Magellan, Cook, De Leon, Balboa and Drake, it fueled my desire to go treasure hunting.  Somewhere between Saturday morning cartoons, "Duck Tales"  and puberty, I lost that desire.  I guess I dismissed it as childish nonsense.  But with more and more shipwrecks being discovered, I wonder what would have happened if I had followed through with the childish nonsense.  Would I be on the high seas, fighting with Barbary pirates, racing to claim the loot?  Who knows?  Maybe I would be bored to death working an ocean grid, back and forth, North to South, East to West.  Maybe I would have my head over the rail decorating the side of the boat with the contents of my stomach, which is what happened during my one and only deep sea fishing excursion.  Alas, my shipwreck dreams have  passed me by.  An old man and the sea adventure is not for me. 

That childhood dream lies with the others of becoming a veterinarian, meteorologist, tornado chaser, history teacher, sports hero and famous writer.  Some of those I still have hope for but for now I enjoy listening to my kids' dreams.  I encourage them to follow through no matter how far out there the dreams are and not to dismiss them as childish nonsense.

No comments:

Post a Comment