Saturday, December 31, 2011

The Present Left Under the Tree

It was four days after Christmas and the present was still under the tree.  The question wasn't why it was there but rather what to do with it.  It's funny, I can still remember the shape of the package but I can't remember the color of it nor what was even in it.  It was there one day and gone the next.  I don't even know what happened to it.  I do know there was no joy in opening it nor watching someone open it.  The gift that I speak of was for my Grandma Clara who died on 12/20/1991, twenty years ago this past Christmas.  That present left under the tree is a grim reminder of how precious life is and how brutal  but necessary moving on is.  Merry Christmas Grandma, someday I will bring you a new present.--Your loving grandson

No comments:

Post a Comment